Finally! A new post!! Last week was such a crazy joke. Friday the 13th all week! First, my website crashed (and as you can tell, is still in process of recovering as we rebuild it), then I straight up lost my camera. At first I thought it was just hiding, but nope. It’s just plain gone. So I just went and bought one so I can show you my latest project, a Layla Grayce inspired chair.
I have blogged on here before about my love for Layla Grayce furniture. It is absolutely exquisite, and I would love to own an original, but right now $1200-$2000 for one chair is a little out of my budget.
In fact, sometimes I feel like I should rename this website, “Beg, Borrow, and Steal Design”! =) Good thing I am slightly handy and very thrifty.
I found this Lewittes Chair at the Habitat for Humanity Restore in Mesa.
(Well, I have a little confession to make. This is not the exact chair I found in the Restore, but since I didn’t have a camera and wanted to get started I lifted this almost exact match off the web… mine actually has a more decorative leg area, but everything else is pretty much identical to begin with.)
On a side note, if you haven’t checked out your local store YOU NEED TO! Not only can you find the most amazng deals (like my yet to be installed new, white Subway Tiles for .08 each) but the proceeds go to a great cause!
I found out that these chairs are collectable and range anywhere from $200-$700 a chair, and debated about selling it, but I couldn’t because I have been looking for a chair like this for a long time and I got mine for $36!!!!!
So I kept it and altered it as minimally as possible. The most permanent thing I did was start out by adding a dark chocolate glaze over the existing stain… no sanding… nothing. Straight over the top. The wood was very orangy, but the caning was a deep dark brown. Then I filled all the button divets with fiber fill and added a layer of batting, this not only made it more cushy, but held in the poly fill and hid the divets. I then did my “Slipholstering” technique… so if someone down the road preferred the gold velvet, it would easily come apart.
And without further ado, my completed chair:
A few close ups:
Now I had everything on hand to finish the chair off already, so I’ll just go over the two main costs, because the other stuff is so minimal, it’s not really worth mentioning: the chair was $36 and the fabric was $14. So all in all, I spent $50 on this chair… a drastic savings over a Layla Grayce chair. I can live with that.
Up next, we started on my “tween”age daughter’s room this weekend. I am excited about how fun her room is going to be! Check back for that.
Again, so sorry for the delay and all the technical difficulties this week!